This Environmental Justice Bike Tour had humble origins as a collaboration between SI and some teachers from The Springfield Renaissance School and other Springfield schools. Then we persuaded Heidi Garrett-Peltier from the UMass Political Economy Research Institute to ride with us and share her just-released research on the social, environmental, and economic benefits of bicycle infrastructure for cities.
Springfield city councilors Zaida Luna, Amaad Rivera, and Tim Allen will be joining us.
And now a whole bunch of new partners have come on board:
- Arise for Social Justice
- Universal Community Voices Eliminating Disparities
- MassBike (Pioneer Valley Chapter)
- MOCHA (Men of Color Health Awareness)/Greater Springfield YMCA
- Out Now (MA Dept. of Public Health-funded)
- Caring Health Center (Project YES Youth)
- Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Sylvan Cycles (local start-up sustainable bike manufacturer)
- Healthy Environment/Healthy Springfield CARE Project (EPA-funded)
- Pioneer Valley Asthma Coalition
And did I mention we’ve added a walking component to make this as accessible as possible? We’ll have an annotated list of tour highlights and additional partners by the end of the week.
WHEN: Next Tuesday, July 19th at 12:00 pm (new start time!)
(Rain Date: Thursday, July 28th at 12:00 pm)
WHERE: Leaving from Christopher’s Package Store, 2803 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01107
All are welcome! More background here.